Audio Engineer • Producer
I'm that old dude that came out to see your band's show on Tuesday night, and after accidentally dedicating my life to making records (some as a performer and more as a band lover/engineer/producer) I've grown to understand that whether it's doom metal, acoustic children's songs, glam rock or chamber music… If you're proud in and believe in your work, it's my responsibility to put that work on my back and care for it as my own… while promising not to make fun of your ponytail or misspelled tattoos.
Cumulatively, I've been involved in hundreds of recording projects – as an engineer, producer, mastering engineer or performer – and I have learned a thing or two from each of those projects. Experience includes:
• recording/producing music (and dialog) in many genres, in many different studios/scenarios.
• noted clients include Sister Crayon, Chelsea Wolfe, Sprint Mobile and Yelp.
• teaching recording concepts and fundamentals as a professor/instructor at the college level.
• certified Pro Tools Instructor (one of less than 30 in California), but also work in analog.
• Production Manager, Assistant Gear Reviews Editor and Senior Contributor (writer) at Tape Op Magazine.
In the past I've toured hard and extensively – mostly in a van playing small venues – while recording (as an artist) in commercial and home studios. Like many artists, initially the commercial studio seemed less attractive and counter-creative than the comforts and freedoms of a home or project studio. Though most of my early recordings were done in home/bedroom studios, my first commercial studio experience as an engineer was at John Baccigaluppi's legendary, but now closed, Hangar Studios in my then hometown of Sacramento, CA. In addition to being the publisher of Tape Op Magazine, John is also a great friend and mentor. Checkout his new studios - Panoramic House (Marin County) and The Dock (Sacramento).
Recently relocated, I am now freelancing in the Bay Area and am a resident house engineer at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, actively on the lookout for passionate recording projects to immerse myself in!